Mother Brings Lawsuit Against Monster Energy Drink for 19 Year Old Son’s Death

William E. Johnson
The Associated Press
July 16, 2013

Energy Drink Law SuitThis week a mother filed a lawsuit alleging that her son died because he regularly consumed Monster Energy Drinks. The mother, Paula Morris, filed the lawsuit after her 19 year old son, Alex Morris, died last July from cardiac arrhythmia. Morris claims that her son drank 2 Monster Energy Drinks every day, including on the day he died.

Monster is also facing a similar lawsuit from the family of Anais Fournier, a 14 year old girl who allegedly consumed 2 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy Drinks before she died. The attorney representing both Morris and Fournier stated that the allegations and cause of both deaths are the same.

Monster Energy Drinks have previously responded that in the case of Fournier’s death, no blood tests were conducted to show that Fournier died of caffeine toxicity. The company alleges that Fournier died due to a natural pre-existing condition.

Monster is also facing a separate lawsuit from the San Francisco City Attorney, for allegedly advertising to children despite the fact that consumption by adolescents can cause life threatening seizures or cardiac arrest.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is also investigating monster and other energy drink manufacturers after several reports linking energy drink use and death were recently made. The FDA sets caffeine limits for “cola-like beverages”, but it does not set limits for energy drinks.

If you or your loved one has been harmed by a dangerous product contact the West Palm Beach products liability lawyers at the Law Offices of William E. Johnson P.A. Hold defective product manufacturers responsible for selling dangerous products without proper warnings. Schedule a free consultation today with a West Palm Beach defective products lawyer by calling 561-832-4848.